Open a Checking Account
You expect a lot out of a checking account, and so do we. Smart Checking™ is simple and free, and it helps your community every time you use your check card.
- Student Checking
- Debit Cards
- Switching Accounts
- Direct Deposit
- Overdraft Protection
- Order New Checks
- Mobile & Online Banking
Select a Service:
Free Checking Account – Now that’s Smart!
All of our Suncoast checking accounts are fee-free! Plus you can help local students every time you use your debit card. We’re proud of how we stack up against banks. See for yourself what “free” means at Suncoast!
Already a member? You can open a checking account online in just a few minutes! Follow the prompts using SunNet Online Banking or the SunMobile app and you’ll have your new checking account ready to go in a snap!
You can also visit a local branch to open a checking account.
Members: Open New Checking Account
Not a Member?
Choose a Product:
Fixed or Variable
Annual Percentage Rate
Term in Months
Smart Checking $0
Term in Months
- $5 opening deposit required when opening online only.
- Convenient mobile apps (iOS & Android) for online banking and check depositing while on-the-go.
- Each time you use your debit card for a purchase, Suncoast donates money to benefit local schools.
- Dividends are compounded daily and credited monthly.
- Free online banking, bill pay and mobile banking
- Free ATM access at Suncoast ATMs, Publix Presto ATMs, McDonald’s® ATMs in select counties1 and tens of thousands more through the CO-OP Network
- No monthly service fees, no activation fees, no ATM fees from Suncoast ATMs, Publix Presto ATMs or within the CO-OP Network. Please note that should you overdraw your account, there is a fee for insufficient funds that are both Paid Non-sufficient Funds (NSF) and/or Check/ACH debit return unpaid Items. See Fee Schedule for details.
- Direct deposit and payroll deduction
- Effective March 22, 2018, complimentary Suncoast exclusive style checks (for new accounts and one box per year for existing accounts) will only be available for members ages 55 and up.
- eStatements and combined account statements, also available in Spanish
- Free images of cleared checks (up to 90-day account history)
- Visa Account Updater (VAU), which will automatically update your cardholder data with participating merchants when your card information changes, including recurring payments and card-on-file relationships. If you wish to opt-out of Visa Account Updater, you may do one of the following:
- Call our Member Care Center: 813-621-7511 or 800-999-5887
- Visit your local branch
- Mail written request to: Suncoast Credit Union, ATM001, PO Box 11904, Tampa, FL 33680
Perks for Local Schools
With Smart Checking™, you'll get the free Suncoast Debit Card that rewards the community each time you use it.
Every time you make a purchase with your debit card, Suncoast donates two cents to the Suncoast Credit Union Foundation, a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization established to help children in the communities we serve. See how those pennies add up.
Bring Us With You
Download the SunMobile App!
The SunMobile app lets you manage your finances quickly, safely and securely from the convenience of your smartphone or tablet.
Easily deposit checks6, pay bills, pay a person, transfer funds, locate the nearest branches and ATMs, and view check images with SunMobile.
6Minimum credit or risk score required.